MODEL YEAR 1962
Mercedes-Benz 190SL (W121)
1st Reg. date: 1962
Interior: Red Leather
The Mercedes-Benz 190 SL (W121) is a two-door luxury roadster produced by Mercedes-Benz between May 1955 and February 1963. Internally referred to as W121 (BII or B2), it was first shown in prototype at the 1954 New York Auto Show, and was available with an optional removable hardtop. The 190 SL presented an attractive, more affordable alternative to the exclusive Mercedes-Benz 300 SL, sharing its basic styling, engineering, detailing, and fully independent suspension. Both cars had double wishbones in front and swing axles at the rear. Instead of the 300 SL's expensive purpose-built W198 tubular space-frame, the 190 SL's R121 structure used a shortened unitary floorpan modified from the W121 base saloon. It was powered by a new, slightly over-square 104 hp Type M121 BII 1.9 L straight-four SOHC engine. Based on the 300 SL's straight six, it had an unchanged 85 mm bore and 4.3 mm reduced 83.6 mm stroke, was fitted with twin-choke dual Solex carburetors, and produced gross 120 hp. The car was available either as a soft-top convertible or with removable hardtop. A small third-passenger transverse seat was optional. During its first years the 190 SL was available as a sports-racing model with small perspex windscreen and spartan one-piece leather covered bucket seats and aluminium doors. In 1959, the hardtop's rear window was enlarged.
The 190 SL was replaced by the Mercedes-Benz 230SL (W113) in 1963.
We are very glad to offer for sale this nice unrestored and very well preserved, right-hand drive (RHD) 190SL. It was recently subjected to a thorough mechanical and electrical revision as well as cosmetically. It is ready to drive and be enjoyed.
The car is offered with valid Portuguese registration.
Can be viewed by appointment in Cascais - Portugal
Detailed pictures available soon.